This year's summer learning assignment will include IXL. IXL is a comprehensive learning program offering unlimited math and language arts practice problems in thousands of skills. The teachers have thoughtfully created lists of skills for each grade level to practice on IXL this summer. Your child has the freedom to work at his or her own pace, but it is required that they practice for a minimum of 15 minutes a day. An assignment tracker is included with each grade level assignment for students to log their progress.
Summer IXL for rising K - 8:
Summer vacation is a great time for kids to read. Studies have shown that reading over the summer helps students retain reading and learning skills during the long break from school.
Below is a list of summer reading assignments by grade:
Below are some tips for encouraging reading from the American Library Association. Just remember to let your children choose books that interest them and to set aside time for reading each day. Enjoy your summer and don’t forget to read!
- Encourage your child’s reading
- Start sharing books when your child is born, and don’t forget to keep reading with children into their teen years.
- Make a time and a place for reading in your home and encourage talking about reading in your family.
- Take advantage of "waiting” time to share books: on trips, at the doctor’s office, in line at the grocery store.
- Set a good example – read on your own.
- Allow your child to select books to read and be aware of your child’s reading interests.
- Give books as presents.
- Get to know the children’s librarian at your local public library.
- Register your child for a library card. Get the one free card that brings you a world of opportunity – no matter what your age.
- When preparing for family road trips, stock up on audio books from your library. Let your children choose some stories to listen to in the car. Have family members share favorite ghost stories and/or adventure stories around the campfire at picnics and on camping trips.
Here are some links to websites that give book recommendations for students at all grade levels: